Re: [groff] 02/02: src/roff/troff/input.cpp: Update comments.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [groff] 02/02: src/roff/troff/input.cpp: Update comments.
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 17:41:47 +0200 (CEST)

>     Also bump copyright year; significant* non-cosmetic changes to
>     this file were made in 2019 and this year.  (I know that a
>     script can be directed to come around and bump the copyright
>     year on this file even if, say, only whitespace changes were
>     made, or no changes at all, but I dislike that practice.  In my
>     view, "copyrightable work" is a legal concept inaccessible to
>     machines.)

This is not the point of view taken by the FSF.  To cite from

  https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Copyright-Notices

(emphasis added by me).

    To update the list of year numbers, add each year in which you
    have made nontrivial changes to the package.  (Here we assume
                                        ^^^^^^^
    you’re using a publicly accessible revision control server, so
    that every revision installed is also immediately and
    automatically published.)  When you add the new year, it is not
    required to keep track of which files have seen significant
    changes in the new year and which have not.  It is recommended and
    simpler to add the new year to all files in the package, and be
    done with it for the rest of the year.

  Werner