Re: Why does simply creating a diversion produce output?

From: Steve Izma
Subject: Re: Why does simply creating a diversion produce output?
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 17:16:58 -0400

On Mon, May 04, 2020 at 10:48:35PM +0200, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
> Subject: Re: Why does simply creating a diversion produce output?
>

> > .di d
> > foo
> > .di
> > .rm d
>
> Output is only sent to the diversion when a break occurs,
> either explicitly with .br, or when enough text has been
> collected to fill a line, or in no-fill mode.  Otherwise,
> the diversion remains empty, but a partially collected
> line exists when the end of input is encountered.
> This causes a page to be begun, but since the partially
> collected line is not forced out, the page remains empty.
>
> Try the following variations
>
>   .di d
>   foo
>   .br
>   .di
>   .rm d
>
> and
>
>   .di d
>   foo
>   .di
>   .rm d
>   .br
>
> to see this.

That explains why the diversion is empty. But diversions have
nothing to do with page traps. The contents of a diversion aren't
output until the diversion is explicityly called. I don't see any
code to that effect implied or explicit here.

        -- Steve

--
Steve Izma
-

==
I have always felt the necessity to verify what to many seemed a
simple multiplication table.
        -- Ilya Ehrenburg (Soviet author and critic; he's not
           talking about mathematics)