Re: \: re-enables hyphenation--should it?

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: \: re-enables hyphenation--should it?
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 13:09:29 -0500

On 7/25/20, Steve Izma <sizma@golden.net> wrote:
> Doesn't this depend on the definition of a word boundary?

Yes.  I admit I've done no testing or research for this thread, but
past experience tells me that the \% escape treats whitespace and not
much else as a word separator.  For instance, I've found that

"\%Abracadabra!"

doesn't inhibit hyphenation in the word abracadabra, but creates a
hyphenation point between the opening quotation mark and the word.
That's an irrational interpretation, but it's a minor irrationality
that I've learned to live with.  (My preprocessing script backs up to
the nearest whitespace before adding the \% so I don't have to think
about it.)