Re: Disable sentence spacing in tty output?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Disable sentence spacing in tty output?
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 22:42:57 +1000

At 2020-08-13T20:58:10+1000, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> At 2020-08-13T00:54:03-0700, k.st wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Is there a way to prevent groff from writing two spaces after end-of-
> > sentence characters in tty output (mainly for man pages)?
>
> Certainly.
>
> You can add the following to your man.local file[1].
>
>       .ss 12 0
>
> Leave out the leading tab, of course.

Hmm, now that I actually re-read your mail I notice you did in fact ask
about how to confine this to TTY devices.  You can do this with the "n"
conditional to the .if request:

        .if n .ss 12 0

I've been having a friendly holy war with Dave Kemper over
inter-sentence spacing in _all_ contexts, including
proportionally-spaced type, and that overshadowed my interpretation of
your message.

Sorry about that!

        I shall not cease from mental fight,
        Nor shall my em quad sleep in my rack,
        Till we have usurped Chicago,
        And sentences manspread in their tracks.