Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Release Candidate 1.23.0.rc1
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 06:08:03 -0600

On 11/13/20, G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote:
> The concepts thing is stuck because I've been dithering about adapting
> it, with various deletions, into (1) ms.ms (after the introduction,
> before the registers and strings material); (2) roff(7), because it
> would be good to get those basic typesetting concepts into man page and
> into the reader's brain before that highly detailed history section; and
> (3) groff_man_style(7), because as it says it's intended to be
> comprehensible as the only document a man page author who knows how to
> drive a text editor but with no further amibitions needs to read.

Are you proposing that the draft you emailed a month ago, which placed
the text all in the Texinfo file, instead place that text in one or
more of these other locations, or that the Texinfo be edited as
originally submitted but some of the text also be duplicated in these
other locations?

If the latter, as I presume, would it be reasonable to commit the
patch as-is to doc/groff.texi, so it's at least in the one place where
you know it'll live while further dithering happens?  Unless what
you're considering is having the text live in a central file and at
build time get integrated (in whole or in part) into up to four of
these documentation files -- which sounds impossible given the
diversity of formats of the files, but I wouldn't put it past you to
have some scheme in mind.

>> Also, most of the hyphenation data imported from TeX (see
>> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?57594) was last updated in the 2006-2007
>> time frame.  Is it possible to resynchronize these files for this
>> release?

> Is anyone besides me willing to undertake this?

I started looking into how to script the changes needed to the Texinfo
files, hit a roadblock, and set it temporarily aside.  I need to go
back to it.