Re: Reverting various commits

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: Reverting various commits
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:34:43 +0200

Hi,

replying to myself because i figured out the remaining question,
such that others don't need to waste their time explaining...

Ingo Schwarze wrote on Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 03:53:48PM +0200:

> I'm not yet quite sure what is going on in groff_man(7).  My impression
> right now is that by default, for example with
>
>   groff -man -Tascii man/groff.7.man
>
> it no longer prints three blank lines before the beginning of the
> "Name" section and before the page footer line.

That's https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?60653
commit 2278d6ed67c8d85b021c9db35ecb2c44f5d19ae6.

So yes, it is deliberate.

Branden has been doing so much work lately (which is very good,
thank you for doing all that work) that i didn't quite keep up with
it (which is not that good, sorry about that).

> I actually like
> that change and i am quite willing to adjust mandoc to do the same
> because these additional two times two blank lines, IMHO, served
> little purpose in terminal output and mostly wasted screen real
> estate.  Besides, i like making mdoc(7) and man(7) style more similar
> to each other.
>
> But i'd like to confirm this is an intentional change before
> picking it up for mandoc(1), too.

I'll do the same in mandoc soon.

Yours,
  Ingo