Re: Align top of text blocks

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: Align top of text blocks
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 20:40:13 +0200

> I have three blocks of text on a line and I would like to align them
> on top rather than on the baseline.
> 1. Is there a "proper" way to achieve this?

Since letters are not perfect rectangles, and you're mainly
concerned with the aesthetic appeal of the end result rather
than some "ideal" mathematical alignment, I will argue that
there is no "proper" way other than manually moving the text
around until the result appears pleasing to the eye.

That said, with the example text you have given (where the
big letters have no descenders), I *do* prefer alignment of
the baselines of the bottom lines of text, with the upper
two lines moved above:

  .ll 21c-5c
  .po 2.5c
  .sp 10
  .nf
  .vs 0
  .ps 10
  \v'-12p'Sometown, Earth
  vs@johndoethetrueone.com
  .ps 28
  \h'4.3c'John \[Fo]The Doe\[Fc] Doe
  .ps 10
  .rj 2
  \v'-12p'linkedin.com/in/j.doe
  github.com/j.doe
  .ps 10
  .vs 12
  .sp 3
  Text

(Using this template, you could of course also move the big
middle text vertically.  I've set the baseline spacing to zero,
which allows the baselines of all text to be manually positioned
relative to the same vertical location on the page.)