Re: [BUG] -T html: \- rendered as something different than ASCII 45

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: [BUG] -T html: \- rendered as something different than ASCII 45
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 23:35:11 +0100

Hi Branden,

(D'oh! I used the wrong email address for all of these mails :-/)

On 1/24/22 22:13, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> And another html bug; however, this one seems to be a browser bug, but
> please confirm.
>
> For the following code:
>
> [
> .TP
> .B \(aq\-\(aq
> Empty white cell.
> ]
>
> groff(1) generates the following HTML code:
>
> [
> ]
>
> However, both firefox and chrome show something that if copy&pasted to a
> terminal is different from ASCII 45, and is longer than the proper minus
> sign.
>
> Should I report a bug to firefox?

I found (by accideent) that plain -, which is translated by `groff -T
html` into plain -, is represented by both firefox and chrome by ASCII
45.  When copy-pasted into the terminal, I can execute the command.

It's \-, which is translated by groff into &minus;, which is understood
as a weird character, contrary to the expectations.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar