Re: groff_man_style(7): wfix needed

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: groff_man_style(7): wfix needed
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 13:12:04 +1100

Hi, Alex!

At 2022-01-24T23:07:52+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Hi, Branden!
>
> My brain returned EAMBIGUOUS for the following paragraph:
>
> [
>        \(aq   Basic Latin apostrophe.  Some output  devices  re‐
>               place “'” with a right single quotation mark.
>
>        \(oq
>        \(cq   Opening  and  closing single quotation marks.  Use
>               these for paired directional single quotes,  ‘like
>               this’.
> ]
>

> What did you mean by 'a right single quotation mark'?
> s/right/correct/?  Or maybe  s/right/closing/?

I believe Ingo Schwarze contributed the above language; he's quoting the
Unicode Character Standard.

$ unicode 2019
U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
UTF-8: e2 80 99 UTF-16BE: 2019 Decimal: ’ Octal: \020031
’
Category: Pf (Punctuation, Final quote); East Asian width: A (ambiguous)
Unicode block: 2000..206F; General Punctuation
Bidi: ON (Other Neutrals)

Calling this glyph "closing" can be misleading depending on the
language.  For instance, Swedish apparently uses U+201D "RIGHT DOUBLE
QUOTATION MARK" for both opening _and_ closing quotation marks.

Things get complicated with bidirectional scripts and mirrored glyphs.
I feel like the safest thing to do here is to simply use Unicode's
names.  What do you think?