Re: [BUG] .MR: hyperlink only on html, but not on pdf or terminal

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: [BUG] .MR: hyperlink only on html, but not on pdf or terminal
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 16:26:06 +0100

Hi Branden,

On 1/25/22 02:09, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
[...]
> Also, from groff_man(7):
>    Hyperlink macros
>        Man page cross references are best presented with .MR.  Email
>        addresses are bracketed with .MT/.ME and other forms of hyperlink
>        with .UR/.UE.  Hyperlinked text is supported on the html, tty,
>        and xhtml output devices; terminals and pager programs must
>        support ECMA-48 OSC 8 escape sequences (see grotty(1)).  When
>        device support is unavailable or disabled with the U register
>        (see section “Options” below), .MT and .UR URIs are rendered
>        between angle brackets after the linked text.
> [...]
>        -rU1   Enable generation of URI hyperlinks in the grohtml and
>               grotty output drivers.  grohtml enables them by default;
>               grotty does not, pending more widespread pager support for
>               OSC 8 escape sequences.  Use -rU0 to disable hyperlinks;
>               this will make the arguments to MT and UR calls visible in
>               the document text produced by link-capable drivers.
>
> Is there some other good place I can put this information?

No.  It's just that I didn't even read the manual for this, since I
expected this feature to be enabled by default.  I guess that'd've been
enough, if I had cared to read it.

>> Would you mind adding it to the other devices?
>
> PDF is the other issue.  It just hasn't been done yet.  groff's output
> driver for PDF, gropdf(1) is a complex beast with a bewildering array of
> options.
>
> I _think_ what I want is the 'pdfhref' device control command, but I'm
> not certain.
>
> I had been postponing this work until (A) a volunteer saved me the
> trouble

For all of the reports I sent these days, if you think there's anything
simple enough that I could help, please point me to the files that I
should have a look at, and I'll try to work it out.

or (B) I achieved my long-awaited dream of shipping a typeset
> version of all of groff's man pages.
>
> (B) just happened this week.  Even it will require 2 stages.  (1)
> Enablement of general URLs; (2) special trickery to render MR links as
> internal links within the ~380-page document.  Deri James has done stuff
> like this before, so I know it's possible.  It's just something I need
> to learn, though my preference would be for someone to give me a fish
> while I consider what sort of bait and tackle I'd like to have someday.
> ;-)
>
> This could be a Savannah ticket, too, but only file it if you want to: I
> was going to work on this anyway, as noted.

Not necessary, then.

Cheers,

Alex

--