Re: [Wishlist] .MT/.ME: The mailto link doesn't contain the name

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Wishlist] .MT/.ME: The mailto link doesn't contain the name
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 03:12:39 +1100

Hi, Alex,

Quite bizarrely, I did not get this message in my inbox, nor even in my
spam folder.  Thanks, GMail!  :-|

At 2022-01-24T22:32:13+0100, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> Some wish.  For the following code:
>
> [
> .MT alx.manpages@gmail.com
> Alejandro Colomar
> .ME .
> ]
>
> The produced html output is

> Colomar</a>
>
> The visual output shows the full name, but when you want to send an
> email, that is discarded.  It would be nicer, IMHO, to have the
> following code:

> Colomar</a>
>
> Any thoughts?

My main question about this is, is it permitted by RFC 6068?

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6068#page-3

My quick glance over the meaning of an "addr-spec" suggests that it is
not, but I have not read this standardese in depth.

If it's standards-complaint and can be widely expected to work, that
helps, but then we might need an additional argument for the MT macro to
specify or suppress the addition you're proposing.

For instance, if someone clicked such a link from a man page that
editorialized as follows...

.SH Bugs
Hyphens, minuses, dashes, horizontal arrow extensions, and open doors in
vertical walls in NetHack are all the same to us, but try telling that
.MT groff@gnu.org
the jackasses who maintain groff
.ME .

...it could lead to unintentional entertainment.