Re: groff_man_style.7: Hyperlink macros: \: before or after '#', '?'?

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: groff_man_style.7: Hyperlink macros: \: before or after '#', '?'?
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 08:35:00 +1100

Hi, Alex!

At 2022-02-07T19:46:43+0100, Alejandro Colomar (man-pages) wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
> I see that groff_man_style(7) gives advice on where to break URIs
> regarding slashes and dots, but not '?' and '#', which are other
> common symbols on URIs.I see that groff(1) seems to break before, in
> your manual pages, so I'll follow that practice, but maybe it's good
> to state it in the manual page too.

Good idea.  Such advice has the pleasant benefit of, for '?', being
congruent with our advice regarding '.' (see?  I told you guys Chicago
was all wrong), and since '?' begins HTTP GETty request parameters, it
and the URL material after it might well be omitted at the
copy-and-paster's discretion.

I suppose for completeness, with HTTP GET in mind, I should mention '&'
in this list, with precisely the same recommendation.

> BTW, I missed a question of yours[1], so I'll answer now:
>
> * Branden, a long time ago, said:
> > Please let me know if you find any inconsistencies in our URI
> > breaking practices in the groff man pages.  I inferred that you said
> > the existing style was consistent, but I'm not sure and it could
> > have been wishful reading on my part.  :)
>
> Yup, groff(1) is quite consistent in that :)

One tries.  Entropy is a relentless opponent.