Re: style: .MR

From: Humm
Subject: Re: style: .MR
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 23:23:14 +0000

Quoth G. Branden Robinson:
Why not accept an empty second argument and puncuation?

        .MR gmtime "" ()

That looks too much like cleverness to me, but I suppose there is a
certain amount of subjectivity to these things.

Huh, doesn’t look very clever to me.  Sure, subjective.

I don’t get why you wouldn’t just use -mdoc and leave -man as it is.

As I said years ago on this list when I embarked on improving man(7)
(mostly _not_ with new features, but with bug fixes), if mdoc(7) were
going to eat man(7)'s lunch, it would have happened by now.  It's had 30
years.

Perhaps I should read that. I don’t know why people use -man much still. My utopia definitely doesn’t include both, and -mdoc rather than -man.

Further, high-quality dead tree typography is an explicit anti-goal of
its development.  All mandoc(1) cares about is the terminal and static
HTML.  groff's overall mission does not permit the abandonment of
typesetting.

Yes, mandoc. I don’t think that has anything to do with -mdoc, though. We can still set beautiful documents using the same macros.

On most systems, there is -mdoc, and on the other ones, there likely
won’t be a -man implementing such new macros.

This will be attributable to laziness or hostility, and not due to
licensing concerns.  Systems still assuming (or imposing) the
six-argument limit on macro calls will be misrendering many pages
_today_.  (Hmm, I never did write down that this is a reason to quote
multi-word (sub)section headings in arguments to `SH` and `SS`.)

Making cross references links is nice, but I could totally live with
not having that at all with -man.

I don't expect many epiphanies--I simply want to deliver a better
experience for those who are open to it.

Sure.

(That doesn’t seem like a better imagination though.)

Just last month I was spending some sweat generating a table of contents
for the new 380+ compiled groff-man-pages.pdf document--I'd had my face
in the 1970s Unix manuals recently-- when Deri James emailed me out of
the blue with a shockingly short patch enabling PDF bookmarks in man(7).

All of a sudden I didn't need to bother.  In any reasonable PDF viewer a
table of contents is available in tree form, resizable, depth-foldable,
hyperlinked, and not a page number in sight.  That's improvement.

Granted, we pay a price with several more annoying diagnostics "can't
output node in transparent throughput!  OMG!".  But at least I finally
understand that hopelessly inscrutable message.  Enough that I am
prepared to try to kill Savannah #61407 in the formatter if necessary.

How's that[1] coming, Deri?  :D

I don’t quite understand the context, but yeah, good PDFs are important and fun too, including their nice TOC feature. And if you wanted to put the manual in print (or have fun readying it for that without planning to actually print it), I don’t think a TOC would be of much importance. Personally, I’d much rather see a KWIC permuted index of the NAME sections. (At least some of mentioned Programmer’s Manuals have that too.)

--
Humm