Re: [BUG] Hyperlink macros: breaking should conserve the full hyperlink

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [BUG] Hyperlink macros: breaking should conserve the full hyperlink
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 19:38:41 +1100

Hi Alex,

I just wanted to issue a point of self-correction since I pretty badly
misstated something.

At 2022-02-08T08:53:17+1100, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > And XFCE terminal highlights as a hyperlink _only_ the part that is
> > on the first line (i.e., up to 'process/').  The second part (i.e.,
> > 'coding'...) isn't highlighted, and most importantly, isnt' part of
> > the hyperlink.
>
> You might say that `UR` is "generous in what it accepts".  If it has
> no argument, it attempts to create a hyperlink out of the link text.

I was thinking about this completely backwards, possibly confused by the
mangling that MUAs and web-based list archives do to long lines of plain
text.

> It doesn't do a very good job.

UR and MT could use more argument validation, but the thing that's
screwing up hyperlinks here is, as noted, the terminal emulator.

An empty argument to `UR` (whether by omission, or explicitly) gets
passed to the output device as...an empty URL.

    $ ./build/test-groff -Thtml -rU1 -man EXPERIMENTS/empty-UR.man
[...]
[...]
    $ ./build/test-groff -Z -Tutf8 -rU1 -man EXPERIMENTS/empty-UR.man
[...]
    H0
    x X tty: link
    tthis