Re: Warn on semantic newlines

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: Warn on semantic newlines
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 11:39:15 +0100

Hi Alejandro,

> > this diagnostic sprung up in places I expected
> > and a few places I didn't.
> > I _will_ commit now to not turning this warning on by default.  Sentence
> > endings internal to a line are not incorrect roff practice.
> Is the following correct?  "foo. Bar"

Yes, if it's:

    e.g. one of many
    i.e. intended
    Dr. House-Style
    cf. comparison
    Nov. 5th

troff has never required an indication that an end-of-sentence mark
followed by a single space is intended.  A warning which triggers too
easily lowers the signal of all warnings.

I've found it adequate for a document's makefile to spot places where
the second space is missing and it can then match the document's style.

--
Cheers, Ralph.