Re: tbl(1) minor issues

From: Alejandro Colomar (man-pages)
Subject: Re: tbl(1) minor issues
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:36:43 +0200

[Sending to the list, now that I have access to a computer.
I also added a bit more to it.]

Hi Branden!

On 7/23/22 04:50, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
Thank you; I appreciate the review.  Yours is the first it's gotten
since I rewrote it.

[
        spaces,  or  tabs.   (AT&T tbl accepted only options with
        all characters in the same lettercase.)   Some  of  these
]

since the parenthesized sentence refers to the sentence previous to
it, I'd put it as part of it (notice the placement of periods):

[
        spaces,  or  tabs   (AT&T tbl accepted only options with
        all characters in the same lettercase).   Some  of  these
]

I disagree with this, because I find it awkward to put one complete
sentence as a parenthetical inside another.  I believe a sentence should
remain grammatical even if the parentheses are removed.  I admit to some
severity on this point, but all too often as a reader, I find amateur
technical writers employing punctuation as an excuse to discard the
rules of standard grammar.  That is not what punctuation is for.

I guess it's standard practice in English... In Spanish it's extremely uncommon to see parenthetical full sentences not attached to another one. In English I've seen it a lot; especially in mtk's text (that's when I realized those existed, actually).

I searched in the Spanish dictionary, and there's not much of relevance. Only a rule that I agreed with Michael that it's bad: in Spanish, if you insist to use a separate parenthetical as you did, the period goes after the closing parenthesis (so you can't blindly remove parentheses and their content; you need to check if there's spurious punctuation). See <https://www.rae.es/dpd/par%C3%A9ntesis> if you understand Spanish.

More interesting is a link found in that page, documenting the "raya" (em dash). It documents that in Spanish, em dashes are single-side spaced: <https://www.rae.es/dpd/raya>. And also interestingly --and this is something that also got me mad with English texts--, Spanish em dashes are written in both sides even if one of them is next to punctuation --in which case it loses the space, of course--. The Spanish rules for em dashes are much nicer IMO :-)

And the Spanish rules also indicate that the level of isolation from the main text is, from more isolation to less isolation: em dash, commas, parentheses.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Alejandro Colomar