Re: .man file extension

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: .man file extension
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 07:37:30 -0500

Hi Alex,

At 2022-09-06T13:53:58+0200, Alejandro Colomar wrote:
> I see that you use .7.man or .1.man internally in the groff(1) source
> repository.

Well, it was like that when I got here.

> But then those extensions are presumably removed during the
> installation, since man(1) doesn't like them.  What are they for?

The man page text gets transformed with sed during the make(1) process.
This is to replace certain magic tokens beginning and ending with at
signs @ with information that is determined only at configuration time.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/groff.git/tree/Makefile.am#n825