1.23: troff register names broken?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: 1.23: troff register names broken?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 18:30:15 +0200

Hello.

During testing (still not done because i massively improved the
less pull request, not yet pushed, but now even ^O^N and ^O^P work
totally graceful regarding repaints and _every_ move around)
i stumbled over certain number registers i use do not work no more
like they should, so if i instrument like

  .   ds mx:#s1 \V[MDOCMX_FLAGS]
  .   .if \B'\*[mx:#s1]' \{\
  .     nr mx:#n1 64 \"\*[mx:#s1]
  .nr auau 33
  .     nr mx:n1 64 \"\*[mx:#s1]
  .mx:perr S1=\*[mx:#s1]  #N1=\n[mx:#n1] N1=\n[mx:n1] AUAU=\n[auau]
  .ab x

i get

  mdocmx(7) error: S1=64 #N1=0 N1=64 AUAU=33 (#14)

so it seems to me .nr registers can no longer contain a "#" in
their name!  That would totally boom my macro package(s)!  Is not
the desired behaviour, no?  (I am sorry not to have time to look
into the 4000 commits are what that separate the two versions..)

--steffen