Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device: more display oddities

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: 1.23: UTF-8 device: more display oddities
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 21:30:35 +0200

Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 <20220917165637.pMpuD%steffen@sdaoden.eu>:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 | <20220917162423.TRKch%steffen@sdaoden.eu>:
 ||Steffen Nurpmeso wrote in
 || <20220917152906.UhDto%steffen@sdaoden.eu>:
 |||Ralph Corderoy wrote in

 ||..just to add that Liberation seems to be a free font used as
 ||a default in LibreOffice, which i did not know until just now,
 ||searching for a different monospace font.
 |
 |Oh merde, after 45 MB download IBMPlexMono has the same problem!!!

P.S.: with the help from people of IRC i have now tested LuxiMono,
IBMPlexMono, and NotoMono, and only LuxiMono gets it somehow right
(but looks terrible as a monospace font imho).

(P.P.S.: IBMPlexMono is really a great typewriter font, but must be
relatively large to look ok, only 51 lines on the screen here,
whereas Liberation and Noto are ok with 59.  Noto i find a bit
"too crouched", but the guy speaks quite some languages, including
several Asian ones, and says it offers good support for those.
I unfortunately cannot testify, too dumb a western.  Anyhow,
i have to stay with Liberation it seems, i will make an alias to
go for -Tascii, and prepare to somehow direct people to go for
-Tascii or LC_ALL=C man.  If at least literal code blocks and such
would remain unmapped.)

--steffen