Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] problem with "Enhanced" bug queries in Sav

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] problem with "Enhanced" bug queries in Savannah
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:27:59 -0500

Hi Ineiev,

At 2022-09-05T17:38:47+0000, Ineiev wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2022 at 04:23:49PM -0500, G. Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Then, I click open the "Display Criteria" widget, and change the
> > "Browse with the" list box control from "Basic" to "Enhanced",
> > because I want to filter items by "Planned Release", and even the
> > "Advanced" query interface doesn't enable that.  I then click the
> > "Apply" button to submit the form.
>
> Tracker admins can add custom query types for their tracker.
> "Enhanced" in groff bug tracker is such custom query; it includes
> "Closed on" both as an output column and as a selection criterion...

I was not aware of that, being a relatively new manager for groff's bug
tracker; I see it now.

> > 1. Once the "Enhanced" form has been presented, there's no way via
> > the controls on the page to omit them.  The filter always applies.
>
> Correct; this is why various query types exist.

I would suggest that these date-sorting fields in particular could be
handled as further "Additional constraint(s)" as the UI already
supports.

> > 2. The dates always default to the current date and the _greater
> > than_ operator.  This is guaranteed to fail.  No bugs are ever
> > submitted or closed in the future.
>
> Good point.
>
> > 3. There's no option in the controls to disable these two filters.
>
> Strictly speaking, there is---for tracker's admins when defining
> the query type.

I have altered groff's "Enhanced" query form to omit these date-related
fields, since they invariably frustrate me.

> > 6. To really use the filtering-by-date feature, you have to edit the
> > URL by hand.  This is tedious.
> >
> > 7. Erasing the operator from the chunk of the HTTP GET query doesn't
> >    work, possibly because there's no empty or null option for the date
> >    ordering operator.  It defaults to the first item in the list, which
> >    is "<".  (This appears to be true for both "date_op" and
> >    "close_date_op".)  You have to remove these chunks entirely.
>
> I don't understand how these are possible.

It's easy.  I go to the navigation control of my Web browser (Firefox)
and edit the text therein.  (I've done this with lynx, too.)

For instance, I have a bookmarked URL to help me manage work on the
forthcoming groff release candidate:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?go_report=Apply&group=groff&func=browse&set=custom&msort=0&report_id=223&advsrch=0&bug_id=&details=&summary=&submitted_by=0&resolution_id=0&assigned_to=0&vote=&privacy=0&bug_group_id=0&status_id=1&severity=0&category_id=0&plan_release_id=103&discussion_lock=0&sumORdet=0&history_search=0&history_field=0&history_event=modified&history_date_dayfd=19&history_date_monthfd=9&history_date_yearfd=2022&chunksz=50&spamscore=5&boxoptionwanted=1#options

This originated as a URL constructed by the "Enhanced" form; I simply
hand-deleted various "&foo=bar" fields until I was left with a query
that returned the results I sought.

groff contributors--

I'm happy to create further query forms if somebody needs one.  For now
we have lost the ability to filter searches by "Date and time of the
initial submission" and "Date and time when the item status was changed
to 'Closed'".  I have no objection to restoring these in future
additional query forms, but I would like for item #2 above to be fixed
since the forms will nearly always fail to return any results on a
first attempt.

Thanks for your advice, Ineiev.