Re: mom and custom page sizes

From: Marcus Brownlow
Subject: Re: mom and custom page sizes
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 11:37:02 +0000

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I had followed the documentation,
specifically page 5, bottom, of https://schaffter.ca/mom/pdf/mom-pdf.pdf
"Producing PDFs with groff and mom" but this default-to-US-Letter page size
persisted.

Peter Schaffter replied directly and I'm copying his response below for the
benefit of future users who might face the same problem. (tl;dr I was using
an old version of mom with a potential bug, and my document settings didn't
help things either.)

I've replaced om.tmac v2.4 with v2.5_b and my test document is now working
exactly as expected.

If you're new to groff/mom, please make sure your version of the mom
> macros is the most current (2.5_b).  If not, download the tarball
> from
>
>   https://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-2.5_b.tar.gz
>
> and replace your current om.tmac.  A bug with some features similar to
> your problem was fixed a few versions back.  It is, however, not the
> only culprit.  In the example you sent, if you add
>   .FOOTER_MARGIN 0
>   .HEADER off
>   .PAGINATION off
> underneath
>  .PAGE 15c 15c 1c 1c 1c 1c
> and make text spill onto the next page, you'll see that the page
> dimensions and margins are respected.  Explanation follows.
>
> The final argument to .PAGE is the bottom margin, which mom
> understands to mean the bottom margin of running text.  In addition
> to the bottom margin, mom has a footer margin, the baseline on which
> page numbers or other footer material sits.
>
> The bottom margin cannot be lower than the footer margin, but when
> you make your bottom margin 1c, as you've done with .PAGE, it is;
> mom's default footer margin is 1/2-inch.  Setting the footer margin
> to zero removes the conflict.  (The other two suggested lines are so
> you get a clear view of the margins on both pages.)
>
> You may want to read
>
>   https://www.schaffter.ca/mom/momdoc/headfootpage.html#hdrftr-vertical
>
> which explains the matter fully.

Thanks to Peter, Oliver and Deri for your replies. My problem is solved and
my understanding of the mom macros is greatly improved. Thank you!

Marcus