Re: [groff] 15/39: [grog]: Drop relic code and comments.

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: [groff] 15/39: [grog]: Drop relic code and comments.
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 19:50:38 -0500

> commit 6f2e3678366b33ee35cbedf79198c92e88bae29b
> Author: G. Branden Robinson <g.branden.robinson@gmail.com>
> AuthorDate: Mon Oct 24 17:08:35 2022 -0500
>
>     [grog]: Drop relic code and comments.

The comment seems inessential, but I don't believe the two lines of
code are relics.

> -require v5.6;

Pre-5.6 perls are probably rare these days, but if grog does indeed
require 5.6 features, any users with an older perl ought to be told
right away rather than face potentially baffling error messages later
in the execution.

$\ is undefined by default, so the effect of this line's removal is
immediately apparent by running "grog --version" on the new code,
which no longer emits the trailing newline after the version
statement.

Some grog "print"s, but not all, do include an explicit "\n" at the
end of the output string, but you'd have to check the entire program
for consistency in this.  The simpler solution, at least in the
interim, is to restore the line above defining the output record
separator, guaranteeing that the "\n" is output.