man(7): .TP: Change minimum distance between tag and paragraph from 1 to

From: Alejandro Colomar
Subject: man(7): .TP: Change minimum distance between tag and paragraph from 1 to 2 (subjective)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 20:53:28 +0100

Hi Branden,

I had this discussion today:

Tagged paragraphs leave a minimum of a single space betweeen the tag and the paragraph. In some cases, where the tag can be continuated in the same line by the paragraph as a sentence, it feels a bit confusing, and feels like there's a missing line break.

0123   foo bar baz

01234  foo bar baz

012345 foo bar baz

0123456
       foo bar baz

I've had this feeling myself in the past, and in fact, I designed the use of lists in the Linux man-pages to avoid that as much as possible, by leaving always 2 spaces betweed a bullet list and the text[1].

I suggest a breaking change to groff_man(7), where the minimum (default) separation between the tag and the paragraph is 2. I also suggest adding a register (or I couldn't find it) to tweak that amount.

0123   foo bar baz

01234  foo bar baz

012345
       foo bar baz

0123456
       foo bar baz

Does this make sense to you? It's a breaking change, but it's just cosmetic. I hope people won't scream too much about it.

Cheers,

Alex

[1]:

man-pages(7):
   Lists
       There are different kinds of lists:

       [...]

       There should always be exactly 2 spaces between the list symbol
       and the elements.  This doesn’t apply to  "tagged  paragraphs",
       which use the default indentation rules.

See also:

<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/tree/man7/man-pages.7#n623>
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/commit/?id=4279e42dd98a11b31fa4e1fcebbb00b7a677bb70>
<https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git/commit/?id=22356d97e388c79993c94d43109087d3c8740187>