Re: neatroff for Russian. (Was: Questions concerning hyphenation pattern

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: neatroff for Russian. (Was: Questions concerning hyphenation patterns for non-Latin languages, e.g. Russian)
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2023 08:16:31 -0500

At 2023-04-26T15:16:55+0300, Robin Haberkorn wrote:
> For future texts I therefore wanted to return to Groff (where we also
> have the excellent MOM macros). Not being able to hyphenate UTF-8
> Cyrillic text is a major limitation for me. I might get away with
> converting it to KOI8 first, but could I still mix in Unicode
> characters this way (as they are considered special characters by
> Groff)?

Yes.  Special characters are written in ASCII, so there's no problem
there.  You could even mix KOI8-R Russian with Unicode Russian in the
form \[u0432]...just don't expect the latter to hyphenate correctly.

> Perhaps I will have a look at the hyphenation code and try to fix it.
> Hacking the typesetter is always a perfect distraction from the work
> you are supposed to do instead. ;-)

Be sure you review my earlier messages to Oliver in detail.  The
hyphenation code isn't "broken", it's simply limited to the C/C++ char
type for character code points and hyphenation codes (which are not "the
same thing as" character code points, but do correspond to them).