drawing commands have no impact on diversion height

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: drawing commands have no impact on diversion height
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 13:35:22 -0500

Hi folks,

I find myself offended by the fact that \D drawing commands update the
diversion width register `dl`, but have no impact on the diversion
height register `dn`.

Nevertheless, all of DWB 3.3, Heirloom Doctools, and GNU troff behave
this way.

But it seems pretty unhelpful to me.  If a drawing command inside a
diversion increases its maximum vertical extent, the formatter should
tell me that, but it doesn't.  Instead it appears to count only text
baselines.

Can someone defend this behavior?

Should we change it for groff-next?

Exhibit:

Hello, world.
.sp
Pardon me a moment while I create a diversion.
.br
.di DD
\D'c 1i'
.br
.di
Okay, I'm back.
.sp
Now, let's have a look at that diversion;
it's \n(dn tall by \n(dl wide. \" 12000, 72000 in PostScript
.sp 0.5i-0.5v
.DD
.sp 0.5i
All done.