Re: GNU eqn clarifications and reforms

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: Re: GNU eqn clarifications and reforms
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2023 09:45:12 +1000 (AEST)

On Sat, 17 Jun 2023, Douglas McIlroy wrote:

$$ is etched into my fingertips;

Mine too.

@@ is the fallback when I need to protect $1 and the like, typically for pic code that contains its own macros together with eqn constructs.

## has the virtue of not colliding with other eqn constructs
or with groff macro definitions. It does collide with groff
color specs and \# comments and with pic comments, so
it's not a panacea, but seems better than $$.

@@ may deserve consideration. The only collisions that
come to mind are with the esoteric groff escape \$@.and
with mentions of email addresses or shell scripts.
Unfortunately, it is visually intrusive.

Wow. That's great. Can I just use that as-in and put a reference to a
private communication.

You may also want to make a recommendation for delimiting bodies of eqn macros. I use %%--not perfect, but any conflicting groff constructs will be right there in full view.

Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks - Damian

Pacific Engineering Systems International ..... 20D Grose St, Glebe NSW 2037
Ph:+61-2-8571-0847 .. Fx:+61-2-9692-9623 | unsolicited email not wanted here
Views & opinions here are mine and not those of any past or present employer