ms/mm page margins too large

From: Robin Haberkorn
Subject: ms/mm page margins too large
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 02:29:26 +0300

Hello!

I was trying to set up an ms-document with small page margins (see attachment),
but I don't seem to get below a certain limit (especially on the bottom side).
In one-column mode, the bottom border is a bit smaller, but still larger than
1cm. I also cannot explain the spacing introduced by the .2C request (between
BEFORE and AFTER). Build with

pdfroff -ms margins.ms >margins-ms.pdf

Does anybody understand what's going on?

I've tried something similar with mm (margins.mm), trying to set 1cm margins on
all sides. This doesn't work as well when built with:

pdfroff -mm -P-pa4 -rW=19c -rO=1c -rL=27.7c margins.mm >margins-mm.pdf

Although, here we can at least set the page length to something oversized like
31c to get close to what we want. A4 has a height of 29.7cm, so this is also
strange.

For my particular task, I will probably just switch from ms to mm. But it would
be nice to understand why they behave this way.

Yours sincerely,
Robin