Re: notice: intent to kill off 'Df'

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: notice: intent to kill off 'Df'
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 19:45:18 +1000

Hi Branden,

Support for 'f' may disappear in the next release, producing an error
> diagnostic regarding an unrecognized command.

This doesn't sit right with me. Removing an obsolete feature to encourage
adoption of a newer one runs counter to Groff's normative handling of
legacy features—a manual that's formatted correctly and consistently for
the past 20 years will logically be expected to continue doing so. I'm
aware that \D'f…' isn't supported by AT&T Troff (although it *is* supported
by SQTroff), but that strikes me as a weak argument to justify the
feature's removal.

Assuming there's no practical benefit to removing \D'f…' outright, I
instead suggest documenting it as an explicitly obsolete feature, similar
to how the *"Legacy command(s)"* section in groff_out(5) documents the old
"jump right *dd*u and print char *c**"* method for outputting text. The
section makes it crystal clear to readers that this syntax is supported for
backwards compatibility only, and suggests modern alternatives they should
be using instead. \D'f…' should do likewise, IMO.

Regards,
— John