Re: Groff's -mm Indexing

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Groff's -mm Indexing
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:58:25 -0500

Hi Damian,

At 2023-07-01T03:11:37+1000, Damian McGuckin wrote:
[...]
> OK, I ran 'mmroff' and I can not see it works.

s/not/now/ ?

> Does that mean I can use all my 'groff' options to 'mmroff' for when I
> want to do index processing.

Yes, exactly.  Here's the version of mmroff(1) man page from Git HEAD.

mmroff(1)                General Commands Manual               mmroff(1)

Name
    mmroff - cross‐referencing front end for GNU roff mm macro package

Synopsis
    mmroff [-x] groff‐argument ...

    mmroff --help

    mmroff --version

Description
    mmroff is a simple wrapper for groff, used to expand cross
    references in mm; see groff_mm(7).  It runs groff with the -mm
    option twice, first with -z and -rRef=1 to collect cross references
    and update the cross‐reference file, and then again to produce the
    document.  It also handles the inclusion of PostScript images with
    the PIC macro.  Documents that do not use these features of groff mm
    (the INITR, SETR, GETHN, GETPN, GETR, GETST, and PIC macros) do not
    require mmroff.

    --help displays a usage message, while --version shows version
    information; both exit afterward.

    -x  Create or update the cross‐reference file and exit.

Authors
    mmroff was written by Jörgen Hägg of Lund, Sweden.

See also
    groff_mm(7), groff_mmse(7), groff(1), troff(1), tbl(1), pic(1),
    eqn(1)

groff 1.23.0.rc4.395‐03110    18 June 2023                     mmroff(1)

(Actually that's from my private branch but there have been no changes
to the man page relative to master.)

But I see now that this page should also be mentioning the indexing
macros!

groff mm has a lot of loose threads... :(

> It is a Perl script. Sorry, my brain cannot read Perl.

'Salright--with any luck you won't have to.