Re: Groff documentation, 5.1.7 Requests and Macros -- not a correction,

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: Groff documentation, 5.1.7 Requests and Macros -- not a correction, just a suggested stylistic change
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 22:04:07 -0600

On 3/6/24, ropers <ropers@gmail.com> wrote:
> -In fact, the ending marker is itself the name of a macro to be
> -called, or a request to be invoked, if it is defined at the time its
> -control line is read.
> +In fact, the ending marker can itself be the name of another macro to be
> +called, or a request to be invoked, provided this is already defined by the
> +time the control line containing the ending marker is read.

One semantic difference between the two versions is that replacing "a
macro" with "another macro" implies that the current macro cannot also
be the end macro.  But groff allows this.

.de repeat repeat
.  tm I repeat myself.
.repeat
.
.repeat

(Bonus points if you can guess without running the code whether this
puts "I repeat myself" on stderr twice or endlessly.  (I couldn't.))