Re: Groff documentation: short TOC numbering, and HTML #anchor tag bookm

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: Groff documentation: short TOC numbering, and HTML #anchor tag bookmarkability
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 23:06:32 -0600

Hi Ian,

At 2024-03-08T05:36:36+0000, ropers wrote:
> I.
>
> It seems a little inconsistent that the Groff documentation's short TOC
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.html#GNU-troff>
> does not include the chapter numbers present in the long TOC.

As far as I can tell, that's not something our source document is
determining (unless maybe it's implied by the @smallbook command).  If
you'd like to research Texinfo command semantics and style defaults and
report your findings, I think it would enlighten us.

> Also, one general issue, not just with the short TOC but in several
> places throughout the HTML page, is that the headers themselves are
> not clickable or accompanied by a link, which means users who've read
> yay far down the page may have to scroll away from where they are, and
> go to preceding chapters or sections (or teh hot meal sauce, even) to
> try and find a link to that actual section, so they can bookmark their
> spot.

I've noticed this too.

> I'm not sure if either or both of these issues are fixable in
> groff.texi itself, or if this is best fixed in the relevant macro
> package.

This also seems like a property of the way makeinfo(1) produces HTML
from Texinfo source.  I would direct you to its documentation (which I
keep procrastinating thoroughly perusing) and/or its GNU mailing list.

Also, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a macro package for
Texinfo.  People can (and groff.texi{,.in} does) define document-local
macros, but these are not visible to any other documents.