gsl-shell-info

Re: [Gsl-shell-info] question and status of gsl-shell

From: Francesco Abbate
Subject: Re: [Gsl-shell-info] question and status of gsl-shell
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:25:38 +0100

2013/1/28 Isaac Xin Pei <address@hidden>:
> hi Francesco,
>
> I am a researcher working a lot on data analysis in R etc, but constantly
> looking for better tools. I had been very interested in lua and used it here
> and there for a while. I was quite excited to see your gsl-shell project
> several month ago, but didn't have much time to evaluate it.

Hi Isaac,

I'm glad you are interested in GSL Shell. I'm putting the ML in copy,
may be other people will be interested.

> I am curious about the status of the project, such as whether it's still
> being actively developed, and are there many contributors to it. If I would
> like to contribute in coding/building up pakages, where shall I start.

GSL Shell is currently actively developed but it is mainly the effort
of a single person, me. A few other people have made some precious
contributions but I'm currently the only main developer of GSL Shell.

If you want to contribute to GSL Shell you are very welcome. There is
a lot of interesting things to do, you have the choice based on your
background and your interests, just let me know.

> lastly, how does gsl-shell compare with the python toolkit (ipython, scipy,
> numpy)? the python group has been popular, but I think Luajit speed might
> make a lot difference when coming to performance.

The python project you are talking about are actively developed by a
lot of talented people and they have a lot of features that GSL Shell
does not have. Yet I believe that GSL Shell is interesting because it
is based on an excellent programming language, Lua, and because
LuaJIT2 a very effectively JIT compiler. With LuaJIT/GSL Shell you can
write complex algorithms and they can run, in many cases, to a speed
comparable to optimized native code or better. Python is generally
much more slower and it does have a bigger footprint.

I'm also very proud of its graphical plotting system and its light
footprint compared to other systems. I've also made a lot of works to
offer a very good quality of the plots and to design a simple API for
its utilisation. I've also added a function to export plots in SVG
format so that plots can be easily used outside of GSL Shell itself
with a good level of quality.

There is also something new that I'm going to release in the next
weeks may be, the General Data Table (gdt) module. This is the
equivalent of the data frames in GNU R and I believe it will be
incredibly useful in GSL Shell, just likes data frames are useful in
GNU R.

The gdt module can be already used, it is in the "gdt-new" branch of
the git repository at github. Probably I'm going to release this new
feature very soon.

I was glad that you gave me the opportunity of talking about this new
feature I'm working on :-)

Best regards,
Francesco