guile-devel

Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile

From: Neil Van Dyke
Subject: Re: conflicts in the gnu project now affect guile
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 22:11:16 -0400

Dear fellow Guile people,

I'm a long-time libre software and Scheme person, who recently subscribed to the Guile lists.  After so long away from Guile, I was very happy to return and see an active developer community around it.  I appreciate everyone's labor-of-love efforts here, in some of the best spirit of libre software.

I'm troubled to hear, in the last month or so, some concerns that have been discouraging people in libre software, including Guile. I've long been aware of some ways people have been alienated from libre software, but not of some of the more discouraging things I've heard recently.

Discouragement tends to mean losing people.  One of our primary goals is the opposite of losing people -- welcoming and gaining the collective benefits of *many more* people, participating and contributing.

Being welcoming is a continual learning process, for all of us. Like many topics, the more I learn, I realize the less I knew.  It's very humbling.  What I think we can do is embrace that humility -- to ask, to listen, and to try.  (I don't claim to be at all good at this, personally; only that it seems to be a very constructive aspiration or guideline, to try to remember.)

I'd also like to propose that we try to extend that humility to supporting others, as we all continually learn from mistakes. Making it safe/permissible to recognize, learn from, and correct mistakes seems part of a healthy environment.  We're all human, built on learning from mistakes, and it's OK.  Some situations might eventually prove to be "irreconcilable", but we should try to consider the possibilities, perhaps with a touch of aspirational idealism and creativity, and considering the good that might come from each possibility we can imagine, before we decide which paths to pursue.

I hope that everyone currently involved with Guile will continue to be involved, not get discouraged and leave -- even as we all continue figuring out how to be more welcoming to everyone, and figuring out how to correct some past alienation of people, which I think has also harmed us collectively.

Thank you, and best regards to everyone.