guile-devel

Re: mmap for guile

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: mmap for guile
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 08:49:48 -0400

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> skribis:
>
>> I have been meaning to try to build this under NetBSD, to check
>> portability. I think the mmap code should by default rely only on what
>> POSIX guarantees:
>>   https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/mmap.html
>
> Agreed.

Great to hear that.  There are a bunch of guile fans in BSD-land and we
try to keep up :-) After I wrote, I actually did get to testing on
netbsd-9 amd64, which was easier than I thought it might be.  With the
patch Matt sent, guile 3.0.8 built (and packaged under pkgsrc), and I
was able to see the mmap functions docs in the repl.

I tried to run the tests but got an undefined symbol, not apparently
related.  My machine is in the process of rebuilding most packages and I
will revist when that's done, starting with tests on unmodified 3.0.8.

>> As for referring to glibc, that reference only resolves on GNU/Linux
>> systems, whereas any POSIX system ought to have an mmap man page, so it
>> would be nice not to drop the man page ref, esp. as it grounds the
>> implementation as being about the POSIX interface.
>
> The manual can mention the man page too, sure, but note that the manual
> already refers to glibc’s for all things libc.

I see -- I guess there is a fine line between glibc the implementation
of what C99/POSIX defines as "what must be in libc" the spec, but that's
a big can of worms and if this documentation ends up like the existing
one, then it is not reasonable for me to worry about it :-)