guile-reader-devel

Re: [guile-reader-devel] Guile-Bash reader extensions

From: Dmitry Bogatov
Subject: Re: [guile-reader-devel] Guile-Bash reader extensions
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 08:14:52 +0300

* Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> [2015-06-05 14:18:37+0200]
> Dmitry Bogatov <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > My use-case is Guile interface to Bash, and I would like to get `$foo'
> > be read as (variable-ref 'foo) but just `foo' as symbol.
>
> Sorry to spoil the party ;-), but I think you should avoid that.
>
> The problem with reader extensions is that they do not compose well.  If
> a program uses guile-bash, or if a module is loaded from guile-bash,
> then suddenly it gets the reader extension, and that extension could
> break it, for instance because it uses $ identifiers (this is not
> uncommon; one example is (system base lalr).)

I am not sure the problem you are describing is actually possible.
Somewhere I heard `load dynamic extend` expression. I mean, any
assignment to fluid in loaded file will be lost in master one.
Not tested.

So, my intention is export `$-token-reader' for advanced composition and
`(enable-$-reader-extension)' for common folk.

--
Best regards, Dmitry Bogatov <address@hidden>,
Free Software supporter, esperantisto and netiquette guardian.