Re: Portability testers, please: getting the stack base

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: Portability testers, please: getting the stack base
Date: 25 Oct 2000 01:24:31 +0200

address@hidden (Marcus G. Daniels) writes:

> MD> Program received signal SIGBUS, Bus error.
> MD> 0x29f2a05a in GC_find_limit (p=0xbfbfeb10 "", up=1) at
> /src/subversions/guile-core/libguile/gc_os_dep.c:1751
>
> ML> does the program crash outside of gdb?
>
> ML> if not, then ignore this signal -- it's a feature.
>
> When run outside of gdb I get this:
>
> Fatal error 'longjmp()ing between thread contexts is undefined by POSIX
> 1003.1' at line ? in file /usr/src/lib/libc_r/uthread/uthread_jmp.c (errno =
> ?)

oops.  new FreeBSD + elf + OS threads.  I'm willing to bet that
Boehm's code is simply untested in this configuration...

I wonder about the complaint about longjmp() though: by looking at the
code I see that it's called by the signal handler.  does FreeBSD run
signal handlers in their own thread context?  I thought longjmp()ing
from signal handlers was supported everywhere?  strange...

--
Let's start preparing for the future.  Now's a good time, since it's
already here.