Re: Any chance of SSL support in guile-www?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Any chance of SSL support in guile-www?
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:21:16 -0800

   From: Bill Gribble <address@hidden>
   Date: 07 Feb 2002 05:58:01 -0600

   I had been waiting for the right opporunity to use guile-www, and
   it's here:) The only problem is that I really need SSL support.

   I believe I can hack it in (I have a little experience programming
   with the openSSL libraries) but I'm wondering if you've done it
   already.

unfortunately, i don't have plans to work on ssl support except in the
context of contributing to some kind of "scripts/autowrap" to extend
g-wrap to wrap an arbitrary library and headers tree w/o (too much)
human effort.  that is, libssl (or whatever) bindings would fall out of
that effort, but is not an immediate goal.

there is a "Gross hack to add https support to guile-www" in the contrib
directory.  this may or may not be acceptable to you for the time being.

that said, i am happy to receive patches to implement specific
improvements.  [insert "we need to do paperwork" boilerplate here.]

i imagine we would need configure.in to accept "--enable-ssl",
"--with-ssl-lib" and "--with-ssl-include"; and additional installation
of PREFIX/lib/libguile-openssl.so et al, and scheme module
PREFIX/share/guile/openssl/*.scm.  perhaps it's better to create a
separate package (reduces paperwork!), and simply add configurable
awareness of it to guile-www.

thi