Re: top-down design + nevermind

From: Chris Beggy
Subject: Re: top-down design + nevermind
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:44:28 -0400

MJ Ray <address@hidden> writes:

> (Chris Beggy ) address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Beyond that, guile needs an extension method (module, package,
>> etc.), a method of sharing like CPAN or CTAN, and a community.
>
> It has modules, doesn't it?  Or did someone remove them?
>
> If by CPAN you mean an archive, surely it has that with the projects list?
> If you mean an automated extension install system I say "noooooooooo".
>
> Is there a community?  #scheme is quite quiet, but this list and the cls
> newsgroup are quite chatty.

Thanks for pointing this out.

I wasn't contending that these features do or do not exist, only
that they should be in guile, from one user's viewpoint.  Another
way to say it is, if these features do exist, please don't drop
support for them!

>> I think guile has a special feature, it can be an embedded
>> scripting language for C programs.
>
> Is that really that special?  It's a nice feature, but hardly a Unique
> Selling Point.

I was unclear.  My point was, I hope work on this special feature
isn't causing changes to guile-core which affect backward
compatibility of scheme code.

Chris