Non-blocking socket operations

From: Ian Hinder
Subject: Non-blocking socket operations
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 17:31:41 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

I'm writing a networking program and it appears to be hanging every so
often; I suspect it is during the recv! procedure, and it might be that
the remote server is simply not sending the data it ought to, and the
procedure is blocking indefinitely.

Looking around on the web a bit, there seem to be two options.  I could
enable SO_rcvtimeou, but I can't seem to get this to work - does Linux
even support it?  The other option seems to be to use the "select"  call
to determine if there is any data to be read, but guile doesn't seem to
have it implemented.  I could write the guile binding myself I suppose, it
doesn't look too hard.

Any ideas?

--
Ian Hinder