Re: translators and scoping rules (was: Re: language translator help)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: translators and scoping rules (was: Re: language translator help)
Date: 28 Apr 2002 19:21:52 +0100

    John> The eval() function can introduce new local variables.  How would you
    John> do that with Guile? [...]

Currently impossible, I believe.

Parts of the solution are there, namely `local-eval' and
`the-environment', and it's easy to see how we could extend `define'
so that it could add a new binding to a `the-environment'-type
environment.  However, `local-eval' and `the-environment' are already
considered a bit tricksy and perhaps-ought-not-to-be-there by some
people.

Can you explain in more application-specific terms what kind of usage
you are aiming to support by this mechanism?  Then we could perhaps
think of a more natural (in Guile terms) way of achieving it.

        Neil