guile 1.4.1.90 available

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: guile 1.4.1.90 available
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 13:29:32 -0700

hello,

a couple years ago, you brought up some very good points about guile and
the guile community:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/guile/2000-07/threads.html#00232

being both ignorant and foolish at the time, i added to the thread some
unhelpful noise and furthermore ensconsed my lack of clue:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/faq/guile-faq.html

now, less ignorant but perhaps still foolish, i have tried to correct
both the code component and the programmer component of the problem, the
former by extending `gh_module_lookup' to DTRT for guile 1.4.x, and the
latter by inviting you to try out the unofficial 1.4.1.90 (precursor to
1.4.2) release and assuring you that your feedback on it will be well-
heeded (by me, at least -- i don't speak for any of the official crew,
although copyright on my changes is assigned to the FSF anyway).

you can find the tarball in dir:

  http://www.glug.org/tmp/2002-09/

for the benefit of guile-user (cc'ed and receiving previous 1.4.1.x
notices), the new NEWS excerpt is below.  the full new NEWS is in the
distribution, as usual.

(if you decline this invitation, i would appreciate knowing why; that
would help me further debug the programmer component, a never-ending
task for fools. :-)

thi

* C function `gh_module_lookup' signature expanded

This function used to expect a vector as its first argument, or #f.  It
now handles (in addition to those types), a (Scheme) string and a list
of symbols.  In the latter two cases, a module reference is constructed,
checked, and then passed to `scm_module_ref' (which returns the value of
the name being looked up or signals error if not found in that module).
Additionally, `gh_module_lookup' signals error if the specified module
is not loaded.

Both `gh_lookup' and `gh_module_lookup' are now documented in the
manual.  See also hello-guile.c in the examples/ subdirectory.

* Readline support no longer requires coop threads

It used to be that to get readline to work, you had to build guile using
configure option "--with-threads" (now "--enable-coop-threads").  This is no
longer the case; the two options have been made independent.

Note that readline support is built by default.  To turn it off, use configure
option "--without-readline".  [TODO: Merge this entry w/ the one below.]

[end of excerpt]