Re: scheme to C

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: scheme to C
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 12:20:43 -0700

   From: "Mr. Peter Ivanyi" <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:36:48 +0100

   Reading some past messages from the list, I have the impression that
   there used to be a compiler from scheme to C (hobbit ?) but it is
   broken now. Can somebody tell me how it is broken, does not work at
   all, etc ... ? How difficult to make hobbit work again ?  Does it
   require major changes ?

these questions were asked by the compiler author himself (revisiting
guile after a few years abroad), but the answers are still not known.
however, they are *knowable* and probably continued 1.4.1.x hacking will
teach me enough to provide them (hobbit revival is the explicitly
intended side effect of answering these questions, after all).

i was hoping current crop of guile mungers could help, but now i'm more
realistic about their abilities and inclinations.  if you would like to
help, i suggest a hands-on approach: build {guile,hobbit}-1.3.4, run
them, take notes, try hobbit-1.3.4 w/ guile-1.4.x, take notes on what
breaks, post notes for discussion.

perhaps a small subset of programs works w/ hobbit-1.3.4/guile-1.4.x.
if so, we can collect them under examples/compilation/, add appropriate
configure.in checks for hobbit and augment the "make installcheck" flow.

thi