Re: Ditching (debug-enable 'backwards) ?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Ditching (debug-enable 'backwards) ?
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:06:17 -0800

   From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
   Date: 27 Oct 2002 13:04:41 +0000

   Does anyone use (debug-enable 'backwards) and have a good reason for
   keeping it?

   In my view, it makes documenting the debugger harder, is likely to
   introduce bugs in the debugger code (if there aren't any there
   already), and is simply pointless, so I propose to get rid of it.
   (With deprecation, of course ...)

it is only pointless if you buy into a philosophy where you understand
all points a priori.

you need not document it more than saying "there is an output option
... so in the example output below just stand on your head to get the
full effect".  generally, orthogonal features can/should be documented
in a likewise orthogonal style (else you get combinatorial explosion).

i see about half a dozen places in the code where this option manifests,
all of them highly stable.  (how can an option introduce bugs -- only
uncareful people can do that. :-)

thi