Re: managing external memory

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: managing external memory
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 17:52:56 -0500

Tom Schouten <address@hidden> writes:

> obviously i'm doing something terribly wrong, so i wondered if there is a
> way to tell the gc how much 'external memory' a smob refers to, without
> changing the way the memory allocation in libpdp works.

Hmm.  Which version of guile are you using?  I seem to recall some
memory management problems in earlier versions.  If you check the NEWS
in CVS for 1.6 and for HEAD, you'll see some potentially relevant
changes.

Offhand I'm not exactly sure what the effect is supposed to be if you
can't report accurate sizes.

> maybe it is better to let guile do all the memory management, but my
> question then would be: will used memory be moved by the gc? in pdp,
> it is required a packet's buffer will not be moved as long as it is
> registered, and there's no way i can change that.

Guile doesn't use a copying collector, so your memory should stay put,
and even if it did, I suspect it wouldn't be moving any non-SCM
pointers.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu