Re: Module unloading

From: Zeeshan Ali
Subject: Re: Module unloading
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 02:26:27 +0500

Hello again,

> >  Why not use a registration
> > API instead?  In other words, instead of this:
> >
> > (define (do-plugin-thing-1 ...) ...)
> > (define (do-plugin-thing-2 ...) ...)
> >
> > do this:
> >
> > (let ()
> >    (define (do-plugin-thing-1 ...) ...)
> >    (define (do-plugin-thing-2 ...) ...)
> >    (register-plugin do-plugin-thing-1
> >                     do-plugin-thing-2
> >                     ...))

    This is the code of the plugin right? and register-plugin is a
function provided by me for the plugins to call? But i'll still need
an entry point inside the plugin: a procedure that i'll call from the
module as soon as i load it. So this approach doesn't seem to be of a
big advantage.

> > This way there is no magic, and the visibility of the plugin bindings is
> > under the control of the plugin author.

    I think I have figured-out a way out of this visibility problem:

(define amodule (resolve-module '(amodule)))
((variable-ref (module-local-variable amodule 'xchat-plugin-init)))

     This code seems to work and there is no need for the plugin to
export it's objects anymore.

>  Also, this way you could stay
> > pure-R5RS if you like, as you don't really need any features of the
> > module system.

   Wait a sec? Are you really thinking what i think you are thinking:
use the simple 'load' procedure combined with your suggested
registeration API instead of using the module system of guile?

Regards,

Zeeshan Ali