Re: How could this be implemented?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: How could this be implemented?
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:30:59 +0100

Hi,

Jon Wilson <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for the pointer.  Do you know of any documentation on module
> binder procs?  I've looked in the manual and, (as usual) it doesn't
> really say much of anything about them.

First, I think the "as usual" is a bit unfair.  ;-)

Second, if you use undocumented stuff, keep in mind that they may change
without prior notice.

Third, you may want to look at `boot-9.scm' for examples of binder
procedures.  Basically, each module can define a binder procedure (using
`set-module-binder!' or as an argument to `module-constructor') that is
called whenever a symbol lookup is not satisfied by the module's symbol
table (its "obarray").  When invoked, that binder is passed three
arguments: the module, the symbol being looked up, and a boolean
indicating whether that symbol is to be defined or just looked up.  See,
for instance, `make-autoload-interface' (in 1.8) for an example (or
Andy's link).

Hope this helps,
Ludovic.

PS: FWIW, I'm also not convinced that this is the right approach to
    implementing shell-like constructs in Guile.