Re: any thoughts on guile as a kernel extension language

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: any thoughts on guile as a kernel extension language
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:12:17 +0100

Hello Eric,

Eric Schulte <address@hidden> skribis:

> I wonder if there is anything like this in the works on the GNU front
> with the HURD as guile's natural kernel partner.  Sorry I have nothing
> useful to contribute, I just thought it worthwhile to raise the prospect
> (specter?) of such integration in case it hadn't already crossed the
> minds of those with the ability to one day actually implement it.

As you probably know, the Hurd is just a set of user-space server
implementing standard OS functionality.  These servers talk to each
other using remote procedure calls (RPCs).  Thus, servers can be
implemented in any language, and Guile should obviously be the natural
partner.  ;-)

A nice project, especially now that Guile supports hygienic macros,
would be to write an RPC stub generator for GNU Mach (the Hurd’s
underlying micro-kernel.)  There are already Common Lisp [0] and Java [1]
bindings to some of the Hurd’s RPCs.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/incubator.git/tree/?h=clisp