Re: Errors using Guile 2.0 vs. Guile 1.8

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Errors using Guile 2.0 vs. Guile 1.8
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:18:24 +0100

() Paul Smith <address@hidden>
() Sun, 29 Jan 2012 10:54:18 -0500

           $ cat g1.mk
           define show
           (define (show s)
             (display s)
             (newline))
           endef
           $(info define display)
           $(guile $(show))
           $(info after define)
           $(guile (show "HI"))      # this one
           all:;

   I don't know what this means, or how to proceed with debugging.

What happens if you change the marked line to:

           $(guile (map object->string
                        (list show
                              current-output-port
                              (current-output-port))))

?  I would also try simply ‘$(guile show)’, but remember faintly
that such a type would cause an error.  Thinking along these lines
some more, the problem is perhaps with the return value of ‘show’,
which is the return value of calling ‘newline’, which is probably
unspecified.

As for 1.8 vs 2.0, i dare not speculate.