Re: Trouble w/sockets

From: mark . d . witmer
Subject: Re: Trouble w/sockets
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 23:18:32 -0500

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () address@hidden
> () Sun, 03 Mar 2013 00:36:09 -0500
>
>    an error that the "resource is temporarily unavailable."  Perhaps
>    there's something I need to do before connecting to the X server to
>    ensure that it doesn't hang up on me.
>
> Check out Xnest -- useful for sniffing protocol.

Cool; I'll check it out.

> I suspect a little patience is all your code needs.  E.g., see ttn-do
> module ‘(ttn-do zzz x-protocol)’ proc ‘-connect’, subproc ‘get-setup’,
> wherein there is a ‘select’ + ‘usleep’ loop.

Ok, that code helps a lot. I see that you use wrapped calls writev() and
readv() to communicate with the socket. Using writev() gets rid of the
broken pipe error and I successfully write my connection initiation
request to the X server. But calls to readv() after I do the select +
usleep loop you suggest here just give me garbage data. (read-char) gets
#<eof>.

> [cc trimmed]

Thanks to everyone for their help. I feel like I'm close to figuing this
out, but I probably need to take a break from this for a
while. Hopefully I'll get this working at some point in the relatively
near future!

--
Mark Witmer