Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Anniversary hack: Zile editor with Guile support
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 19:43:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Gary (and Reuben)

> From: Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden>

>I wonder whether you're aware of the recent change of tack in the Zile
>project?  For the moment all the exciting work is happening on the lua
>branch:

I've been following it from afar. Good stuff, but I haven't done much
other than run it once or twice.

>This is where I think it gets interesting for you, in that zlc, being

>implemented in Lua too, is also eminently hackable, to the point where I
>don't think it would be very much work at all to tweak a version that compiles
>a Guile inspired scheme to Lua bytecodes (as opposed to Elisp -> Lua).
>
>Another goal of the reshuffle with Zile (the editor building toolkit) is to
>make it easy to build experimental editors.  Reuben has a very cut down fork
>of Lua Zile that we plan to re-adopt back into the Zile distribution, and I
>have a TextMate inspired syntax highlighting subproject, both of which will
>shortly live alongside Zmacs with equal billing as examples of the kinds of
>things Zile can help with.  I wonder whether you'd be interested in
>contributing
>to a Guile Emacs inspired Zuile™ flavour?

I could see how that could be fun, mapping Guile VM bytecodes to the Lua
bytecodes.  I wonder how compatible they might be?

While I agree that might be a great job for somebody, I won't be able help
out.  I just can't condone the creation of yet another Scheme, even though
your reasons for creating one are exciting.
I guess, because Lua is such a great extension language, I don't see the
value added in writing Zile extensions in anything other than Lua.

Good Luck,

Mike Gran